Kavuni Arisi - 1/4 cup (soaked for about 4 to5 hours)
Water - 2 cups
Milk - 1 litre
Sugar - 1 cup
Milkmaid - 1/4 cup (optional)
Thick Coconut Milk - 1 cup
1) Cook the rice in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes or for about 10 to 15 whistles. You can cook it using only water or half milk and half water.
2) Let the pressure go off and the rice cool down.
4) In a sauce pan or in a heavy bottomed pan boil the milk. Simmer it till it has decreased to 3/4 of it original quantity.
3) Reserve about 1 tb.sp of the cooked rice and coarse grind the rest of it using milk.
4) Add the grinded rice to the milk and keep cooking for about 5 minutes.
5) Add sugar and cook for another 10 minutes.
6) Add the condensed milk, bring to boil and put off.
I normally reserve a small quantity of the cooked rice about 1 cup whenever I make Kavuni Arisi for making payasam later. If you are just making the Payasam then go for the other method.
I like to dissolve the sugar seperately, make a little thick syrup and then add it to the payasam.
You can use coconut milk instead of condensed milk, but do not let it boil after adding the coconut milk.
Do not let the milk stick to pan at any point of time, it gives a burnt smell.
After adding the grinded rice, cook the whole process on low or medium heat and keep stirring in between.