Raw Rice - 1 cup
Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Onion - 1 big (finely chopped)
Green Chilies - 5 to 7 (finely chopped)
Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
Oil - for tempering + frying
Mustard Seeds - 1 t.sp
1) Wash and Soak the rice and dal for about 2 to3 hours. Grind it to a smooth and fine batter, using little water.
2) In a kadai heat some oil for tempering. Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add the onion, green chillies and cook till the onion becomes translucent.
3) Add the coconut and required salt, saute for another 2 minutes.
4) Add the mixture to the batter and mix well.
5) Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying. When the oil is hot enough drop the batter in the oil using your palm and fingers.
6) Fry the small ball in batches. Fry till they are golden brown. Drain and remove them to an absorbent paper.
7) Serve hot with red chilli tomato chutney.
When you want to use it, remove it from the freezer, bring back to room temperature and use it.